Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Shock Value: Entry 252 "For Smokers Only"

0

You all know I got love for everybody. Tall, skinny, black, white, straight, gay, poor, rich, etc. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do as long as you aren't hurting anyone else doing it, I got your back. I try not to talk about people or pass judgment on others, because I would hate for anyone to do that to me. Not that I care, but I still don't like it. My job is to enlighten and encourage those of you who could use a little of either one or both. Today, I write because I am concerned about a group of you. Those of you who are in that "For Smokers Only" club. Not that, I got five on it, dro, cush, 4:20, greenchie green, purp club, but the cancer stick, "Smokers Only" club.

I know you all probably know this already, but I wanted to take a moment to share a few facts with you. I am not going to assume you already know these things. But in case you do, it won't hurt refreshing your brain. Below you will see the benefits of being a part of the "For Smokers Only" club or the benefits you get from being around those who are members.

What are some of the health problems caused by smoking? (www.cancer.gov)

Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body and diminishes a person’s overall health. Millions of Americans have health problems caused by smoking.

Smoking is a leading cause of cancer and death from cancer. It causes cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix, as well as acute myeloid leukemia (1).

Smoking also causes heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) (chronic bronchitis and emphysema), hip fractures, and cataracts. Smokers are at higher risk of developing pneumonia and other airway infections (1).

A pregnant smoker is at higher risk of having her baby born too early and with an abnormally low birth weight. A woman who smokes during or after pregnancy increases her infant’s risk of death from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) (1). Men who smoke are at greater risk of erectile dysfunction (5).

Cigarette smoking and exposure to tobacco smoke cause an estimated 438,000 premature deaths each year in the United States. Of these premature deaths, about 40 percent are from cancer, 35 percent are from heart disease and stroke, and 25 percent are from lung disease (6). Smoking is the leading cause of premature, preventable death in this country.

***Regardless of their age, smokers can substantially reduce their risk of disease, including cancer, by quitting. ***

This is by no way a tactic I am using to try to scare you. I know some of you are adults and you can do whatever you want to. But, I believe education is power. Even if you refuse to quit, I do want that 10, 13, or 16 year old, who just started smoking because s/he thinks it's cool to be informed and understand the risk associated with being a part of the "For Smokers Only" club. Also, this is for each of you who smoke, but don't get check-ups regularly. Make sure you visit your doctor or the local free clinic. There is nothing wrong with making sure you are "a-o-kay". I'd prefer you quit, but I am sure your family and I can find solace in the fact that we at least know you are cancer free.

With 10 days left in "o 10" I believe it is important to end this year right. Or at least try to. Daily I pray for each and every one of you. There are enough things going on in this life we can't control, but what we put into our body, our temples, is one of them. It is up to you to choose life or death. Me personally, I choose life. Your choice is yours.

No Response to "Shock Value: Entry 252 "For Smokers Only""

Post a Comment