Monday, December 27, 2010

Shock Value: Entry 257 "The Last Word"

1

There are a number of things in this life that are indeed important. Things like: air, oxygen, water, and food. Some other things in life may seem way more important but they really aren't. Lately, with only 5 days left until 20eleven, I have decided to really deal with my own personal trials, tribulations, flaws, and attitude. I think it would behoove of you to do so also. One of the lessons I have learned most recently is that it isn't that important to have "The Last Word."

I am an avid debater. Most mistaken my appeal for debates for a person who likes to argue. I love a healthy debate, but an argument will make the kid shut down. I will go at it with you on any topic(s) you can think of. And believe it, it was always imperative that I get "The Last Word." Now that I think of it, I have always wanted to deliver "The Last Word." Man, I have gotten popped in the mouth and my butt tore up for not knowing when to shut up and not keep going just to get "The Last Word." I have seen so many people lose things that matter the most because they have to have "The Last Word." Honestly, it's just not that important.

If you are like me and it is/was of uber importance for you to have "The Last Word," I am asking you to re-think that process. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Having "The Last Word" is not as important as knowing what to say and when to say it. I am not perfect and I do have a number of flaws, but one of them I am working on daily is knowing when to close my mouth. I must be honest, it is hard for me to close my mouth, but I am working on it still even as I type this. Know this, "The Last Word" means nothing if you never ever get to say another "Word" at all. Think about it!

1 Response to Shock Value: Entry 257 "The Last Word"

Anonymous
December 29, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Ahhhh...what a breath of fresh air for someone ELSE to have the fortitude to know when to say when. I, myself am a healthy debater and made a commitment not to have "the last word". It has been my experience that words are only as strong as the meaning behind them and the thought put behind saying them. The problem with having the last word is that often times the one dishing the them just wants to be heard with no true value other than that...just to be the last one to be heard! It takes time and resolve to develop good listening skills and knowing that having the last word, actually, may not matter as much as the words that preceded. Kudos:0)

Post a Comment