Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shock Value: Entry 214 "Black Men II"

0

This picture look familiar? Contrary to popular opinion this is not where we belong!!! For those of you who do not know, I am very passionate about a lot of things. One of those topics that I hold near and dear to my heart is "Black Men." As a doctoral student, most of my research is on "Black Men" in America. More specifically, the challenges that "Black Men" face. Not only am I an advocate for "Black Men" but I generally care about the successes and failures of them. However, no matter what I write about or try to do to change the negative perceptions many people have about "Black Men" there are always a few who are working to make sure those perceptions become someone's reality.

I struggle daily with my identity. I mean, I know I am a strong brother, but some of the things some "Black Men" do make me ashamed to call myself a "Black Male." For instance, the murder rate in the African American community is exacerbated because of one gender, "Black Men". The incidents of "Black" on "Black" crime in our community is so high due to turf wars and pure ignorance exemplified by "Black Men." Most of the time, these "Black Men" can't even describe what they are fighting for. It's a situation where someone stepped on someone else's shoe, bumped into them at a party, or looked at them the wrong way. It's not like that are fighting for freedom, equal rights, or to avoid oppression, they are fighting over personal beefs and killing tons of innocent people along the way.

I am only one, but I am serious about trying to reach the "Black Men" out there. I haven't figured out a way to reach the masses, but I am trying. Any ideas? What I have gathered is most of the current "Black Men" are so stuck in their ways, it is most difficult to converse with them in an attempt to enact change. However, I believe we can began to re-shape and re-mold the minds of the young "Black Men" in our society. This gives us an opportunity to challenge them to change their ways before they get old enough to start carrying guns and selling drugs. Although, they are doing this at a very early age now, I ask all of you to help me detour these young "Black Men" from a lifestyle that could ultimately lead them to jail or back to jail. If you have a son or get a chance to interact with any young "Black Men," please encourage them to do something positive with their life and discourage them from doing the negative things their homeboys, father, grandfather, or the other people they look up to did or are doing.

If we continue losing our "Black Men" then we will become instinct like dinosaurs. The role of the "Black Man" in this country and around the world will become a folk tale or a memory. We need "Black Men" to keep our place in history books. It not fair to put all this unnecessary pressure on "Black Women" although, I have no doubt they can handle it. We as "Black Men" are suppose to be: the foundation for the nation, the leaders in our communities, the bread winners in our households, the life support for our families, a hero to our children, a soul mate to our wives, and most importantly a father to our children. "Black Men" to accomplish this we have a lot of work to do. We have got to do better and not tomorrow, but ---TODAY.

~"Black Men" Stand Up

No Response to "Shock Value: Entry 214 "Black Men II""

Post a Comment