Thursday, October 14, 2010

Shock Value: Entry 183 "Dare To Be Different"

0


Most of you who read Wood Workz know me, DA' Intellektual, in one way or another. What's my line, "I am so left, it feels right" or "Imma Different Type Dude." I am in no way, shape, form or fashion a conformist nor am I like anyone else you will ever meet. Now, I know a lot of cats say that, but if you think I am stretching the truth, feel free to ask anyone who remotely knows me or knows of me and they will definitely tell you.

Most people think I am extremely weird, arrogant, cocky, crazy, and a few curse words to boot, but I am probably summed up most in the following term: Me. I can honestly say, without a shadow of a doubt that I enjoy being me. You should enjoy being you too. Now don't get it twisted, I sometimes wish I could have already done some things, but as long as I have oxygen in my body, that lets me know I still have time to do it.

Do you know why I "Dare to Be Different?" Well, when I was younger I use to save, save, save because I wanted to buy a pair of new J's. Now my G-Ma ain't like you helicopter, punk, spoil your kids rotten parents of today. She would make sure I had name brand, but not the brand and name I necessarily wanted. I was grateful nonetheless. But once I decided I was going to get these new J's there was no stopping me. I worked hard to save up my money to buy these shoes. When I had enough, I went straight to the store and bought them and a brand new shirt too. My check wasn't but so much so I had to choose between a shirt and shorts, because I didn't have the dough for a complete outfit. I am sure some of you can relate. However, I was the happiest person on the face of this earth. I couldn't sleep all night because I was in amazement at how fire my outfit was going to be tomorrow complete with these $150 plus shoes. When the morning hit, I hit the shower, washed and lotion up. Then it was time to get ready. I was so fly that day too. But here is the kicker. I was the man on the bus to school, everyone was talking about my shoes and outfit, but as soon as I entered the breezeway at school, almost every dude I knew wore the same kicks that day and one of them even had the same shirt. We looked like a basketball team. I was fly to death, but didn't have a dime in my pocket. I payed good money, actually spent every dime I had, to look like everybody else. My ego couldn't handle the double-mint twin thing, so I vowed from that day forward to be Different.

Still today, some 15 years later, I am still doing my own thing. I write to encourage you to "Dare To Be Different." No matter what your friends and family do, you don't have to. If you don't feel like its right, don't do it. If you don't want to go, stay home. If you don't want to smoke and drink, don't smoke and drink. Do you; no one else can do it as well as you do anyway! The Good Book says, "Be Ye Not Conformed.." And if it's good enough for the Good Book, it's good enough for me and you. Let go of the safe and normal and strive for different and impossible. The sky is the limit. Lets Go!!!

~Brutha I'm Not A Citizen of Earth

No Response to "Shock Value: Entry 183 "Dare To Be Different""

Post a Comment