Saturday, February 19, 2011

For Colored Girls....***Review***

0

I thinks every now and again, I'm going to throw in a movie and album review or two. Today, I have to talk about Tyler Perry's "For Colored Girls..." First off, I know I am one of the last people on earth to see this movie. But, I am not a true fan of Tyler Perry's movies. Don't get me wrong, the brother is super talented, but his plays are more my cup of tea. I love them all! His movies are bit stereotypical when it comes to Black women and more exclusively Black men. Perhaps, I misused the term "a bit." His movies are chalked full of stereotypes. I use to think the brother hated Black men. Some of his movies, like rap video use to make me ashamed of being---a Black Male. It's sad, but true.

Anywho, back to the movie. So even before I turned the movie on I had several pre-conceived notions. One, I hadn't heard people raving about it, like they do with other films from Mr. Perry, so I figured it was nothing special. Secondly, because of the title, I figured this movie wasn't for "Colored Guys." Probably seems dumb to you, but I most certainly thought this was going to be a chick flick. Now, was I right; partially. The movie to me was more a celebration of dance, womanhood, sisterhood, acting, feminism, Black Star Power. . Any movie backed with that many stars from Hollywood, most definitely couldn't be below marginal. And indeed it wasn't. The poetry and the plight of Black women in these Americas both hit home for me. I am a true male feminist. Through research and personal experiences, I have come to understand the issues Black women face in not only America, but in the world at-large. Most of the occurrences in the movie, although over dramatized at times, is the true story of some young/old Black female.

Regarding my other notion, was the movie strictly for "Colored Girls?" Absolutely not; although I can see how some "Colored Boys" would be disinterested or turned off by the story. I am always perplexed at how Black men are displayed in Tyler Perry's movies. It is very troublesome to me, because as a brutha who is already feared because I am both Black and Educated, I don't need any additional negative press. The media and rappers are doing a great job of destroying the reputation of Black men all by themselves. However, in this movie I was able to look past the portrayal of Black men and understand that why that guy may not have been me, there is surely a Black man who has done exactly what the movie displayed or worse. But lets be clear, not just Black men, but men of other races and women too, do trifling things.

All in all, I give "For Colored Girls" 4 out of 7 diamonds. While I enjoyed and understood the moral to the story, I thought it unnecessary to have that many celebs in the movie. Oftentimes, the character got lost in the fact that one was like, "Oh look at Whoopi or Janet." But, thats not their fault, them are just some powerful sistahs. Thanks TP for what you do for the Black community and for adding a little more color to the motion picture industry. Now, bring on this new MADEA; I can't get enough of that man/lady!!!!

No Response to "For Colored Girls....***Review***"

Post a Comment