Sunday, February 27, 2011

Priorities

0

These days I am ashamed to be American. More than that, I ashamed to be a minority in this America. Over the course of the last few weeks, grocery stores, shopping malls, car lots, etc. have been packed with countless people. Now, there may be a number of reasons people are spending at an all time high in this post-recession, but I can think of one---Income Taxes. Now, I don't have empirical data to support my claim, but I do spend a lot of time out and about, and I have noticed the influx of people flooding stores daily. Prior to the beginning of tax season, one could run into the store, grab one thing and be out. Not these days, you have lines in the parking lot and at every register. I say all of this to say that I believe some people's Priorities are all messed up. Let me explain.

Priorities are of mass importance. In my mind, people who don't have Priorities don't have a plan. It is amazing how people come into money, whether earned or retrieved by claiming someone else's child, yet it gets wasted because they don't Prioritize. Now, I ain't judging because I know some people need a few necessities that only tax refunds or pay day advance loans allow them to get. But, a number or you, just do your best Rick Ross impression and "Blow Money Fast." It's pretty sad actually. I have spent time asking store owners questions about the number of customers and of course most of them reference the fact that it's tax season. One proprietor said something that will stick with me forever. He said, "There is nothing like tax season! We always over-staff and overstock stuff; sit back and watch these people run in the store and purchase things they can't afford. We know and they do to, that the repo man will be looking for that car or the bank will be expecting that loan to go unpaid, but hey, if they are dumb enough to waste all their money, its might as well be in my store." He then chuckled and said, "I have a family to feed. I know they probably buy junk before they buy groceries. You know why? Their Priorities are all f'd up!"

I was po'd. Not because of his comments, but because he was telling the truth; whether I liked it or not. The problematic piece is that no matter what I say or do, people will always have "f'd up" Priorities. People put partying, drugs and alcohol before their children and family. Some people would rather put 20's on their car then buy diapers for their children. Some people would prefer to live in section eight/government subsidized housing and drive a benz, then purchase a home they can call their own. Some people would rather buy clothes, shoes, and flat screen tv's then save money to send their child to college or pay their current bills off. I could go on and on. But, why do these people do this? Because they don't have their Priorities in order. A person who doesn't Prioritize will always find themselves in some form of debt or hurting someone they say they care about.

Priorities matter! Get it together people. Take a look at yourself and fix it. Prioritize. Only get what you can afford. Only buy things that you already have the money to pay for or you know you can pay for without external funding like loans and tax checks. Stop trying to impress people with your house, car, and other material things when you know you don't have the means to pay for those things. Its not rocket science people. Suddenly, I feel like Dave Chappelle, "They shouldda have neva' gave you Ninjas money!!!"

No Response to "Priorities"

Post a Comment