Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Shock Value: Entry 26 "What Happened to Customer Service? Arrrggg!!!"

0
So I was in Wally World (Wal-Mart) the other day. Now, I am the most peaceful person in the world when I am doing my favorite thing, shopping. I usually walk around with my headphones on just to enjoy my own mental serenity. But, I have to tell you all about this situation. So, I walked up to the young lady who was working the 20 items or less line. Here is how the exchange went: I stated, "Ms lady, I noticed you don't have anyone in your line, I have 22 items; do you think you can check me out?" She paused for a moment and then she said with a scowl on her face, "Well the sign does say 20 items or less." Now if this was me 10 years ago; I would have let here have it. But the kid is trying to be more couthed these days. I simply replied to her, "It's okay, I will catch another line," and I keep it pushing.

Now, there are two ways one can look at the scenario. I will start with me, because I believe self reflection is imperative. Yes, I was wrong when I asked her to provide me with a service because I had more than 20 items. But, I never expected the response I was given. I guess if it was me, I wouldn't have had a problem assisting a customer, but I wasn't the person behind the register. Anyway, like I stated previously, I guess shouldn't have asked her to help me, but I thought as a customer, I deserved to be serviced. But what was I thinking.

Now, conversely, I think she could've helped me. She had no one in her line, and I could've rung up the TWO measly items I had over the 20 item limit. This scenerio and many others of this nature has called me to question this whole idea of customer service. I mean customers are important. They are the reason we get paid. Perhaps as a cashier one does not realize how important customers are. But once customers stop patronizing your establishment and people begin to lose jobs, maybe even you, one will realize how important customer service is.

Maybe I am just vented, but I do believe that while customer's aren't always right, we all have a duty to try to make them feel as comfortable with their experience as possible. While you may not want to got the extra mile, at least do your job and try to be as nice as possible. Even if it hurts.

Again I asked, What happened to customer service? Do you know, because I have no idea.

Disappointed I am; ARRGGG!

P.S. And yes she was a sistah. Its on tomorrow. The topic: "Why Are Women So Mean?" Its going down!

No Response to "Shock Value: Entry 26 "What Happened to Customer Service? Arrrggg!!!""

Post a Comment