Saturday, September 25, 2010

Shock Value: Entry 164 " Black College Football"

0

Yep, its Saturday already.
I hope you all stay dry and
enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Today's Topic: Black College Football

Contrary to popular opinion, there are some traditions that are made to be broken. Up until the 19th century there was no place in pigskin football for some of the strongest, fastest, smartest, and well-conditioned minority athletes. The legacy of these players is as strong as the schools that were developed to educate them and their peers---Black Colleges.

Out of the hallways of these learning schools for Afro-Americans came these athletes. They were only afforded an education and opportunities in these settings because majority schools would not accept them as equals or allow them to become educated. Little did these segregated institutions know, these young men and women would go on to change team sports all throughout history and in the present day. From these humble beginnings emerged one of the most fascinating creations by man---Black College Football.

What a tradition! Black College Football has changed the era of the game altogether. I know usually you don't get to hear much about Black Colleges in general, let alone the numerous student athletes, more specifically football players that hail from them. Many players in the NFL, CFL, Euro League, Arena League, and coaches on various sidelines across the nation were all once Black College Football players. These individuals not only received great coaching, life skills lessons, but they also were afforded an opportunity at a quality education.

Black College Football is truly one of the greatest creations in this life-time. None of the other fields in the world have the passion, promise, and potential like those occupied by Black College Football teams. I have went to both minority and majority institutions, and attended and participated in both types of football programs. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is nothing like Black College Football. I love my SEC & ACC teams but can't live without my SWAC and SIAC schools. I love Black College Football and I hope it loves me back, because without you, my phones, and my G-Ma, I would be lost.

~Brutha Down, Set, Hut




No Response to "Shock Value: Entry 164 " Black College Football""

Post a Comment